The AAUW International Fellowship is now open for applications. This fellowship program is mainly for applicants who are women and have citizenship in a country other than the U.S. or possession of a non-immigrant visa if residing in the U.S.
The International Fellowships have been in existence since 1917. The program provides support for women pursuing full-time graduate or postdoctoral study in the United States to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and who intend to return to their home country to pursue a professional career.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): AAUW, USA
Host Institution(s): AAUW, USA
Fellowship Worth: $20,000 – $50,000
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Full-time Graduate or Postdoctoral
Nationality: International Students (Women)
DETAILS | AAUW International Fellowships 2023
A limited number of awards are available for study outside of the U.S. (excluding the applicant’s home country) to women who are members of Graduate Women International (see the list of GWI affiliates). Both graduate and postgraduate studies at accredited U.S. institutions are supported.
Applicants must have earned the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree by the application deadline and must have applied to their proposed institutions of study by the time of the application. Recipients are selected for academic achievement and demonstrated commitment to women and girls.
To be eligible for AAUW’s International Fellowship, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Have citizenship in a country other than the U.S. or possession of a non-immigrant visa if residing in the U.S. Women who are currently, or expect to be during the fellowship year, a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen with the U.S. and another country are not eligible.
- Hold an academic degree (earned in the U.S. or abroad) equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree completed by the application deadline.
- Intend to devote them self full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year.
- Intend to return to their home country to pursue a professional career and upon completion of their studies.
- Be proficient in English and confirm proficiency by submitting one of the Required Components (see below), which include certain English proficiency exams, transcripts from English-speaking institutions, or a written statement verifying English is the applicant’s native language
- International Fellowships are not open to previous recipients of any AAUW national fellowship or grant (not including branch or local awards or Community Action Grants).
- Members of the AAUW board of directors, committees, panels, task forces and staff, including current interns, are not eligible to apply for AAUW’s fellowships and grants. A person holding a current award is eligible for election or appointment to boards, committees, panels and task forces.
- International Fellowships are open to scholars who identify as women, in all fields of study at an accredited institution of higher education or, for postdoctoral fellows, research. AAUW will make final decisions about what constitutes eligible institutions.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply.
How-to-Apply: The application for the AAUW’s International Fellowships are done online. Interested and eligible candidates can start the application process by clicking the Apply Now button to access the application and create an account through the vendor site.
Complete all required components in the following areas:
- Recommendations, Documents & Review
Application Deadline: November 15 (Yearly)